Friday, July 30, 2010

Quilting the Wholecloth

I started quilting on my entry for AQuA's exhibit at PIQF this morning, after piecing the back.  So far, so good.  I'll be using lots of thread colors- I'll need to figure out tomorrow if I have all I need so I can hit Dave's Bernina before they close.  No chance of finding quilting thread on Sunday!

This is what I have so far--

I'm trying to make smooth transitions between thread colors, and imply a sense of movement and the mountains behind the turbines.


I don't think I've ever done a quilt with this many thread colors. I'm trying to pay attention to how the choice of thread color impacts the color of the fabric.  I don't know if the trapunto I did with the wind turbines will be that obvious- the quilting around them may not be dense enough. 

There's also a lesson in this for me.  I do my best work in the morning, so housework just has to wait until later in the day!

2 comments:

Rayna said...

Love those turbines! LOL

Libby Fife said...

Looks like the Altamont pass:)

The similar tonality of the threads and the fabric is looking good. I think you are right that the transition between colors will be really subtle. I hope I am interpreting your intent correctly:)