Sunday, May 15, 2011

Home Again

We are back from Reno- an altogether too-short vacation.  I'm just not ready to face the workweek tomorrow.  And, to top it off, we both came back with colds, albeit mild ones.  But it has left me feeling less than energetic.

After getting the laundry done, and unpacking everything, I've finally made it into the studio.  I dyed a piece of linen/rayon (destined for a summer jacket) Friday, and added another layer of color today.  I've also been at work on the sampler quilt, which is coming along nicely.  I've got the top part all pieced, and am working my way down.  


I'm already seeing things about this quilt I would do differently- but I'm not about to change it now!

I have more wild horse pictures.  They were close to the house almost every day we were there, and one day we had two different herds within easy walking distance!  The second herd had four babies, a couple of them only a few weeks old.  Here you can see how 'at home' they feel in my sister's neighborhood.


I learned the hard way that you don't try to sneak up on them- it spooks them, and they run.  So to get these pictures, I very slowly moved towards them, making sure they could see me the whole time.  I really wanted pictures of the babies, which took some maneuvering.  But I was rewarded with some good shots.



This was the only time we saw this herd close up.  The other herd was a regular visitor.  Here they are, just walking in the neighborhood.  


I don't think I'd ever get tired of watching them!

And of course, there was the best part of the trip- seeing Michelle.  She is growing up so quickly, and turning into a real beauty.


I have more pictures from HMQS to show, but that is for another post.  Dinner is calling, and best of all, I didn't have to cook it!

5 comments:

Del said...

Glad you are safely home. Hope your cold is quickly gone. Love the horses, what a treat to be so close. And then there is that cute little girl - happiness!

Vicki Miller said...

Sounds like you had a nice break, albeit short. You have inspired me, I will have to do a horse soon...lol

dq said...

Way cool project Bev!! I cannot wait to see the finish. I'm assuming it's your own design.

Gina said...

Fabulous photos - how cool that the horses are so comfortable being right in the neighborhood! And Michelle is darling!

Have fun with your quilt and dyeing!

Renate said...

Those photos feel like you could reach out and touch those horses. Michelle is a sweetie! Welcome back.