Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Where the Wild Things Are

Shannon and I arrived in Reno on Sunday morning, and have been having fun with family.  We've also gotten some good looks at wild animals that roam my sister's neighborhood regularly- herds of wild horses!

The first day, they were on the hills in back of their property, so we walked up there.  I was floored by how close they let me get.  At one point, I was within fifty feet of the herd's stallion, and got some great pictures with my telephoto lens.




I love these next photos!  The dark chestnut standing in the first photo is the herd's stallion.



 This morning, my brother woke us up to see the herd on the road just below the house.  They came up and said hello to my sister's horse Chance.



They came up even closer to the house, then took off further down the neighborhood.  They obviously feel right at home here!  I took these from the family room in the house, leaning out the window.




They are beautiful, majestic creatures.  There were a couple of babies in this herd, and at least one mare who is close to foaling.  Hopefully we'll see more of them while we are here!

5 comments:

Kay said...

Aren't they beautiful! Thanks for the post. It's something you don't see very often.

Vicki Miller said...

So lovely, beverly. We have wild horses here but way out in the bush, called brumbies.

JB said...

What a unigue, exciting experience!! Enjoy your trip.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

That was amazing. I had no idea they came that close to homes etc.
I love watching horses as well. I had one growing up but life did not make it possible for me to have one again. So I visit them now. :)

Sounds like you had a great time.

Vicki taught me something with the word brumbies.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome sight...I'd love to see the horses in person! My Best, joni