Monday, October 17, 2011

Perfect Fall Weekend

Perfect as in perfect weather- not cold, not hot, just perfect walking weather.  I walked by the river with the dog a couple of times- it sure felt good!

The trees in the valley are finally starting to show some color.  I loved the look on this part of the walk, they form a canopy over the trail.


This thistle doesn't seem to have figured out that the growing season is fast coming to an end!!  The colors really stood out among the dead and dying grasses and plants.


I also got in some studio time.  I started  new piece with  hand dye I did over the summer.  I've had it up on my wall, looking at it for quite awhile.  I had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted to emphasize with the quilting, but I wanted to try drawing it over the fabric first.


I used my Quilter's Preview Paper (plastic, really!) to try what I had in mind.  It came together so easily it scared me- exactly the effect I wanted, long flowing lines juxtaposed against a structured, geometric motif.  I'm not sure just what the geometric part will end up as, but I started with the flowing lines.  I quilted for about two hours, then realized that I was having puckering issues that were getting worse.  I ended up ripping out ALL the stitching I'd done, and fusing the hand dye to a light-weight stabilizer, which was then fused to the black background.  I'm using black felt instead of batting, so the piece should hang straight with all that.  It will be more of a pain to get through the machine for the flowing part, but worth it in the long run.  I got two lines quilted after I re-did it, then called it a day.  I've learned that I need to quilt in the morning, not late in the day- I'm too prone to accidents then.

The Tangled Textiles reveal is Friday, which is also the day I am winging my way to Florida to spend a week with my granddaughter (and her parents!).  I am so looking forward to it, she is growing up so fast and really developing her own personality.  We're going to visit St. Augustine, I'm hoping to get some good architectural photos.  So visit the Tangled Textile blog on Friday, and take a look at all the ways you can interpret the word 'Tools!'

6 comments:

Renate said...

I love this time of year too especially with the changing of the leaf colours. Your quilting on your piece is going to look stunning.

Debra Dixon said...

I really like what you had going -too bad you had to rip it out. Maybe next time!

Kay said...

Don't you love the way the purple thistle pops with the other fall colors? It inspired me to put a few purple squares in that wall hanging I'm working on.

That piece is going to be beautiful. What a pain you had to rip, but worth it in the end.

Gina said...

Beautiful trail and your piece is looking great! I always told my students the seam ripper was made to be used, we all need it; too bad you'd done so much before you had to rip out. But it looks great! (What is Quilter's Preview Paper?)

What Comes Next? said...

I love fall! There are several maple trees that are just spectacular on my way to work - now if I could just get out of the house earlier enough that I had time to stop and snap a few pictures! Love the look of the flowing lines on your hand dyed piece - it will be wonderful when finished. Enjoy your trip to Florida!

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Gorgeous fall photo. I love your hand dyes including the ones from the previous post.

I am with you about working in the morning. I get more impatient with errors too when it is late in the day. Better to walk away.