Sunday, February 26, 2012

Moving Along. . .

I actually have got a lot of quilting done this weekend- I am at the stage where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and that motivates me to keep going.  The time flew by this afternoon, I couldn't believe it when I looked at my watch this afternoon and it was five o'clock.

I am loving the texture and movement of this pattern (from Charlotte Warr Anderson's One Line at a Time, Encore).  I'm loving even more that it looks complicated, but is really pretty easy to do, especially after the first set of lines is laid down.  And I am so happy that I decided to use variegated thread for the second set of lines!



It is hard to see in a photo, but I have extended quilting with the colored thread into part of the black 'border.'  It is subtle, but I wanted to blend the hand dye into the black, and the threadwork gives me the effect I wanted.  On the first photo,  you can see one part where only the first set of lines is done, and another where both sets are complete.  Makes a difference, doesn't it!

I'm also trying to decided how to crop the black once I get the quilting done. This is my first inclination- pull it in tighter on the sides and top, and leave the bottom as long as it is.  Like this--


What do you think?

I want to get this done quickly, so I can get back to my Tangled Textiles piece that is due mid-March.  I already have a pretty good idea of what I want to do, it's just getting beyond this so I can concentrate on it! 

Now I'm off to watch the Oscars-- have a good week, all!

5 comments:

What Comes Next? said...

this is looking so neat Beverly! I really like that quilting design, and you are right, it makes a huge difference adding that second line to it - wow! The varigated thread does
blend the black into the hand dyed - this is a really great piece. I almost see it with an organic - ie not straight - edge to it.

Renate said...

Wow, the quilting looks so very complicated. Excellent job Beverly. I agree with What Comes Next. I envision an organic shaped edge too! IMHO it would enhance the image I see of a campfire at night.

Judy said...

Bev,
That is a beautiful piece. I love the way you are quilting it. You have motivated me to get busy! Thanks for that and for sharing your wonderful work.

xo

Vicki Miller said...

It is a gorgeous quilting pattern and it is a gorgeous piece. I'm loving seeing it as you do it.

Debra Dixon said...

I like the quilting alot!