I love days when I check lots of stuff off my 'to do' list. I don't mean laundry and grocery shopping, I mean art stuff. This weekend I've managed to get several projects that have been on that list done, and on their way to new owners!
I already posted my Green piece, the last challenge for the Tangled Textiles group. I was happy with it, but wanted to add a little hand embroidery. And then I decided it would have more presence if it were mounted on a stretched canvas. The 16 X 16 size fits perfectly on a 20" canvas, so I bought several. I got acrylic paints, and messed around mixing colors that I thought would compliment the fiberart. I was really happy with the end result!
I did not want a solid paint color, but something more like my hand dyes. I did an undercoat of dark green, then painted yellow and brown on top, purposely letting the green color show through in some areas. I love the effect this gives, and how well it frames the quilt. It is now on its way to my son in Chicago, a present for his 30th birthday.
The hand embroidery turned out to be pretty subtle.
It follows along the pathway I quilted, kind of like the greenery that borders our walking trails.
I got the ugly green-orange fabric from last week overdyed in turquoise.
They came out fairly different. The one on the left has much larger patterning, and more turquoise showing. Both remind me of underwater imagery. And, I am much happier with them now!
And this quilt is done! I got it trimmed, bound, sewed on a sleeve, and got it labeled. I am so happy to have this one completed.
I learned a lot of lessons with this one. I'm happy with the effects I got with the Shiva paintstiks, that part of the quilt finally has the emphasis I wanted.
I thought about making the outside edge curvy, to mimic the curves of the hand dyed fabric. Turns out I didn't like it, so the only curves are on the corners. I did cut back the black a fair amount. This one will be delivered to its new owner tomorrow!