Friday, September 19, 2014

A Finish!!

Well, it took a little over a year to finish this, but it is officially DONE.  I even threw it in the washer and dryer today- first time ever I've made a quilt with the intention of 'crinkling' it.  I do like the way it makes the quilting stand out.

It will get boxed up to give to Michelle for her fifth birthday this week. She is growing up fast!  My brother gifted me with some sheets- I think I will tie dye a set for her bed to go with this.  In pink, of course.

I've also started working on another quilt that has been rumbling around in my brain for the past year.  Almost exactly one year ago, I was at a week long workshop with Carol Soderlund, learning about discharging fabric.  I had some pieces that I loved, and wanted to do something special with.  I especially loved the results I got clamping fabric, throwing it in a bucket of bleach, then washing, refolding and clamping, and throwing it in a Thiox bath.  I decided what I wanted to do, cut the fabric, and got to work.

It's hard to tell in the photo, but it has uneven borders  of Osnaberg.  I really like the homespun texture this fabric has, and will be using it again.  I doing straight line quilting, with some random circles that will be mostly hand embroidered with perle cotton.  So far, I am really liking what is happening.

The straight line quilting is pretty brainless, which I needed after all the free motion I did on Michelle's quilt.  And I like having some handwork to do.  My surface design group is having a gallery show next summer with the theme of 'Reclamation'- I think this will do nicely, and I should be able to get this and one other piece done before then.

I'm also back to making soap so I have it ready in time for the holidays- but that is another post!  Now, I am off to enjoy the fabulous weather we are having, and hoping it means a loooong Indian summer.